THE BUNKER HOUSE HISTORICAL
BUILDING HISTORY

The Bunker House is another building in downtown Oceanside with a past that dates back to the 1800’s. Built a few years prior to the Schuyler Building in 1886, this large two story structure was built by Theodore Bunker and was declared the ornament of the town at the time by the San Diego Union. Despite going through many hands, the building lived on eventually being named the Travelers Hotel in 1947 by its owner Ralph Rogers.

The_Bunker_House.jpg

Much like the Schuyler Building, the Bunker House was not taken care of for many years and eventually it fell into disrepair becoming a forgotten building surely destined for demolition. Fortunately, the building was saved from an untimely demise and in 2010 Apotheque Lifestyle Spa took ownership of this important 130+ year old landmark giving it new life and purpose within the downtown community.

The Bunker House serves as the subject of a wonderful juxtaposition between the rows of modern vacation rentals located across the street and Oceanside’s humble beginnings in which such a building was considered the crown jewel of the town. Standing proud closely resembling the original exterior facade, this historical landmark helps keep Oceanside’s initial character at the forefront and helps to ground the city in its roots as it naturally progresses forward as the premier beach destination.

The_Bunker_House_2.jpg

Building Timeline:

1886

The building was built by Theodore Bunker. The first floor was intended for store usage and the upstairs was planned for a hall.Later that same year, the San Diego Union reported that the $3000 building “will be an ornament to the town,” and it was utilized for a Town meeting hall.

1889

Mr. Bunker was unable to repay his debt on the property, and it went back to Mrs. Couts, his financier. (Sounds a lot like today!!) During her ownership the property was utilized as a boarding house for railroad workers.

1904

Mr. Rieke bought the property and added on the back portion of the house. The Riekes became well known builders in Oceanside.

1923

H.J. Crawford bought the building.

1945

It was sold in to George Haddox.

1947

Mr. Haddox sold it to Ralph and Ella Rogers. This lovely couple operated the Rogers Music Co., leasing jukeboxes to local bars throughout the county. They leased the upstairs to boarders. After his retirement from the music business Mr. Rogers named the building the Travelers Hotel.

1970′s

In later years the building fell into disrepair and was associated with prostitution activities in Oceanside.

1977

The building was abandoned after Rogers passed away.

1983

Rosaline acquires the building and attempts to establish a restaurant, but challenges with the city led her to drop this idea.

1987-1991

The City of Oceanside uses the building for offices.

2010

Apotheque Lifestyle Spa revitalizes the building at 322 N. Cleveland Street bringing new life, positive energy, and wellness to the community of Oceanside.